Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Run through the moss on high heels


Since my brother left me for Sweden last night, I thought it seemed only appropriate to kick off Cover Wednesday by discovering some of the countries up and coming bands. I stumbled across the Swedish Folk Duo First Aid Kit who is comprised of sisters Klara and Johanna Söderberg. They are only 20 and 17 years old and already have emerged into the music scene with their debut album titled Drunken Tree that came out in 2008. They turn Fever Ray's When I Grow up into something innovative with hauntingly beautiful harmonization.


When I grow up,
i want to be a forester.
run through the moss on high heels
that's what i'll do
throwing out boomerang
waiting for it to come back to me

when i grow up
i want to live near the sea
crab claws and bottles of rum
that's what i'll have
staring at the seashell
waiting for it to embrace me





Next on the list is Phoenix's cover of Air's Playground Love. Air is one of those bands like Zero 7 that are nearly impossible to cover because to live up to their expectations and be able to produce the same dreamy haze and master the euphoric element of sound they seem to do effortlesly is virtually impossible. With that being said, Phoenix does a pretty damn good job of stripping it down and making a solid raw accoustic version. I do admit I miss the sweet sound of the sax and the mesmerizing piano strikes of the original but I applaud them for a pretty good attempt.




This has been the year of Vampire Weekend. Their self debut album was rocking the indie rock charts and their song A-Punk has been featured on so many commercials for it's remarkable catchy-ness. I just came across a cover of them doing Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere. Even though the ladies of Fleetwood are for sure Gypsies (which I obviously LOVE) I've never been a huge fan of Stevie Knicks so it was easy for me to like this version even more than the original.



No comments:

Post a Comment