Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thundercrack, baby's back. This time she'll tell you how she reallyyy feels.


"You gotta buy stretch socks. Worst thing is playing with your socks down... nothing worse than that!"
I've been raised with Springsteen in my blood. He's been my dad's idol his whole life and ironically enough, they even share the same name. Anytime we would get in an argument I would run upstairs and throw on my "The only boss I listen to" t-shirt just to get under his skin. All the long drives cross country listening to E street radio at volume level 54 (because you can't fully appreciate the aesthetic value unless it's at LEAST at notch 54) and concerts I've been to over the years have given me a great appreciation for Springsteen (Not that I have much of a choice in the matter.) Besides the fact he has come out with songs that define a generation and will be played forever, what I love most is his character and how he reaches out to the people. To quote one of my favorite movies of all time, Almost Famous, He "looks for the one guys in the crowd who's not getting off and makes them get off." Someone like my dad...who by day is an old fashioned, tightly wound working class man who's composure is always so serious and expressions stoic but by night comes alive and starta shouting "come on, rise up!" pumping his fist at the sky to Mary's Place. Alot of great musicians get so wrapped up in the coils of fame that they forget about the people. The fans who got them where they are today. Springsteen recognizes this and even with his superstar status, his concert tickets are always affordable to the working class everyday people. He could charge hundreds of dollars for seats to his shows and his tickets would still sell out. But that's not the point. He wants anyone who supports him to be able to come out and help build the house of rock and roll on stage with him.






No comments:

Post a Comment